Monday, October 20, 2014

weekend recap

I lived in Minneapolis for almost three years after graduating, and this weekend's visit really made me miss it. My good friend's mom was a high roller at the U of M Foundation for many years, and while she's now retired, she and her friends still tailgate like it's her job. Since the bitterly cold 2008 Thanksgiving fight for Floyd, it's been tradition to partake in the revelry. Following a Friday night bonfire and grilled kabobs, we arrived at the Maroon Lot a little past seven on Saturday morning to pitch the tent, light the grill and lay out the Goldy-printed paper plates. Hot cider, Bloodies, Grain Belt, pecan-pumpkin bars, cheesy eggs, white chili, barbecue chicken wings and cookies straight from the Betty Crocker test kitchen kept us warm and satiated until the 11:00 kickoff. I joined my parents and sister for the game, and seats in a sun-soaked corner of the stadium helped us enjoy every second of the 39-38 victory over the Boilermakers (creepiest mascot ever, right?). Later that night I had dinner at The Lowry, caught up with old friends, and generally enjoyed being in a big city again. The gorgeous fall colors, idyllic East Isles neighborhood and cinnamon French toast I woke up to Sunday made it even harder to leave. Already looking forward to next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment